Date:
Sun, 18 Mar 2001 03:07:51 -0700
For Dianne,

This possibility has always intrigued me also.

In case you do not remember every single post to this list;
I am the "nut" that quit eating sugar in 1950 at age 23.
It seemed to take a year to see results;  but they have been
beneficial.

Later I thought I heard one "Corey Bailey"  on public TV say
that it takes a year for our intestine to convert from using
sugar to using fat--but I could not find that in his book.

When I think about how well the human system copes with a
poor diet and survives then I think that this is the
problem!

Some persons merely survive malnutrition;  Others have
contoured  the world on good nutrition---but the results are
attributed to Nationality or Race!    (The Mongols ate raw
meat!)

Dianne  please keep us informed,

Regards,  Lorenzo

> A friend of mine adopted a baby in Peru years ago.  The
girl had been
> abandoned on the hospital steps and was starving...  the
hospital insisted
> on about 6 weeks of fattening up--primarily with sugar
water--before they'd
> release her to her new parents.  That kid has had a
*major* problem with
> sweets all her life...
>
> Their other daughter, who's about 4 years older, didn't
get any sugar or
> refined foods until she started school.  While she did
develop a
> refined-flour preference, she's always been one to take or
leave sweets...

> This very small sampling <g>, has always made me think
twice about how
> quickly we seem to get programmed in our eating habits
from early on--which
> would line up with your thought.  It also makes me wonder
if that's part of
> our adaptability?  Could it be that the more adaptable of
our ancestors was
> able to get ramped up for the local food supply nearly
from day one?