From:
Jane Warner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Nov 2003 13:30:45 -0700
Hi!

My understanding of the cloning process is that the cloned animals are
essentially the same age as the animal they are cloned from.  That is why
they tend not to live as long after birth as an animal born from the
regular procedure.  It has to do with the telomeres in the cells.  They
wear down with each cell division.  When they are worn down so far, we
die.  That is how our "days are numbered."  It would seem that one of the
tricks of longevity is to start with long telomeres and slow down the cell
division process.  LOL.

At this time, I am not aware that the cloning process damages the quality
of the meat in any way, but it definitely is not a Paleolithic process.

Jane
Tucson, AZ  USA

At 10:21 AM 11/3/03 -0600, you wrote:
>Nov. 3, 2003, 6:26AM
>
>Sales of cloned cattle multiply
>Associated Press
>

>FORT WORTH -- Cattle are quietly being cloned and sold for high prices as
>the livestock industry anticipates government approval for letting their
>offspring into the food chain, industry officials said.
<snip>