From:
Jay Banks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Dec 2002 17:55:51 -0600
> Welcome, Jay.

Thank you!

> Belief in evolution isn't necessarily contradictory to belief in God.

Not necessarily, but doing so usually involves throwing out
Genesis and some of the basics of the Christian faith. Although
I will admit that I don't see believing in a literal creation as
being a central part of the gospel. I would consider the issue
an in-house debate between Christians...something similar
to talking in tongues.

Keep in mind, though, if there wasn't a literal Adam, then
there was no fall of man into sin, so therefore there was no
need for Jesus. So you automatically start running into
trouble if you start saying things like, "well each day
could have been a million years," or something like that.

> IMO, this is the only diet that makes sense.

It makes sense to me, too, although it wouldn't
be my first choice of diet. What brought me to
the diet was my concerns of our factory-farmed
produce being able to sustain a vegan diet
for extended periods of time (and I'm just not in
a position to grow all of my own food). That, and I
see it as a chance to improve my family's diet,
since they were/are on the SAD diet and are going
to eat meat regardless of my diet (along with
other crap).

Right now, I am working on raising some rabbits
and chickens for food, so we will have more
control over the quality of the meat we eat. I have
also located some sources for other meat, such
as goats and wild hogs. I have been eating some
fish that comes from a grocery store, but I draw
the line at any other meat that comes from a grocery
store. I'll do without if it comes down to it.

> But that 15-25% misery is still misery, isn't it?  Paleo should (to a
> tra-la-la of poop, poop, poopy-doo) make what goes in must come out 100%
> improved.

Actually, I have still been improving. Dr. Day, of www.drday.com,
says that if you have really abused your bowels, it can take
up to two years to get them back in shape. So I don't
think there is anything wrong with not being able to report
a 100% success instantly. I didn't get sick over night.
I don't expect to get well instantly, either.

>For myself, grains were the butt plug (and source of other
> problems).  So much for the fiber theory.

I have come to the conclusion that legumes and corn were the
biggest part of my irritable bowel syndrome.

I totally agree with you about grains, but I'm not sure
about throwing out the whole fiber theory. The best
fiber source I have found is fresh-ground flax seed.
Flax worked better for me than anything else I tried.

> Paleo is more than just adding meat to the diet.  What we don't eat is
just
> as important.

Well, if I took the list of things in Neanderthin that you
shouldn't eat, it would be basically be a  list of things I don't eat.

And if I told you I eat fish, rabbit, raw eggs, goat meat, and
wild hog meat, that would sound pretty much like the Paleo diet, no?

I have some real concerns about the way some people
are interpreting the paleo diet. For some, it looks like
nothing more than the Atkins diet...and I just don't think
that is healthy. But to each his own, I guess.

Also, if you want to get technical, a lot of the examples of
the people eating high animal food diets in Neanderthin
were eating quite a bit of that meat raw (the Eskimos for
example). When you cook meat, it kills all the enzymes
in it that would normally help in its digestion (see the
book Enzyme Nutrition, by Dr. Edward Howell).

I think a body overburdened with constantly trying to
digest cooked animal products is a primary cause of cancer.
And it isn't that the body can't digest cooked meat, it is
that the body has enzymes that kill cancer cells and
these enzymes are used up if they are constantly being
used for digestion...thus raising your chances of getting cancer.
(note, this is also why fasting is so beneficial for healing,
because it gives your body a break from digestion and
it can now use this energy for repairing your body).

I have some information on this on one of my web
sites for those who would like more information.
It is located at www.vitaminb17.org. The one called
"Cancer, Merely a Vitamin Deficiency Disease?"
would touch on the diet of Eskimos a little, I think.

Jay Banks
www.roadtowellsville.com