From:
Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Dec 2008 13:38:55 EST

In a message dated 12/14/2008 12:50:31 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

If this is the study that is just making the news, the full text
indicates that they were switched almost cold turkey to a ZERO carb diet
and the testing took place within two weeks.  What they are calling
low-carb was really no-carb and I don't think there was sufficient time
to adapt to ketosis.

I agree with this -- the study is crap.  Very few participants and it takes
certainly more than several weeks to fully adapt to a ketogenic diet.  Also,
fat needs to be kept sufficiently high -- many low carb diets are made
"politically correct" by also being low fat -- that's a mistake on very a very low carb
diet.  Fat is the fuel on very low carbs.  The same purported problems with
cognitition skills would likely be reported for those who follow very low carb
diets for years and then are suddenly switched to a high carbo diet.  If I go
off the wagon and indulge in a high carbo meal full of sugar  -- I literally
fall asleep.  That would be zero cognition skills.