From:
Madeline Mason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Feb 2002 10:52:01 EST
In a message dated 2/7/02 8:49:59 AM,  "Joseph R." <[log in to unmask]
writes:

<< PS - I'm not saying that I agree with this guy. I have cut most salt out of
my diet, except for a little Celtic salt in my slow cooker stew once in a
while [which I think I may be better off to omit in the future]. I'm hoping
to see what you thought of this info. Thank you very much.

(In reference to the post copied from another list on the necessity of salt
in the diet- too long to copy over)

Whatever happened to the notion of moderation? When fats were demonized,
there were plenty of folks out there destroying their health and brains by
trying to eat as close to zero fat as they could get. The same with other
people and carbohydrates. And salt. Again, I have to point out that we do not
have salt receptors on our tongues for no reason at all. Although I would
agree that the amount of salt consumed is debatable, it is doubtful that our
Paleo ancestors got NO salt at all, (other than what occurs naturally in
meats).

Some refuse to use vinegar because it is not Paleo. Others use it anyway, to
give flavor to food because they are using zero salt, while we cannot argue
that at least some amount of salt ISN'T Paleo.

The same could be said of "sweet". We have sweet receptors on our tongues as
well, and did we not eat sweet fruits when we found them, or stumble across
the honey tree now and then? Of course I know the fruits we eat today do not
resemble those of antiquity, and we fought a lot harder for that taste of
honey back then than we do now, but why does everything in this country have
to be an "all or nothing" proposition?

Don't get me wrong. This argument does not carry over to the consumption of
grains, beans, dairy, Twinkies, or cocaine! To those of us on this list, we
accept that such things were not part of the Paleo environment, but I do NOT
believe it would be healthier for people to attempt to exorcise each and
every gram of carbohydrate, fat, or sodium from the diet, just because
obvious extreme excesses are verifiably damaging. Afterall, if one ate so
much food that one wound up weighing 1000 pounds one would probably die
sooner rather than later, but that doesn't mean one should cut out ALL food
and fast permanently!

Maddy Mason
Hudson Valley, NY