From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Mar 2001 14:54:33 -0500
On Tue, 27 Mar 2001, Dianne Heins wrote:

> Actually you reminded me of something.  It is my understanding that one of
> the sources of data on diet comes from analyzing fossilized human exrement.
>  If grains were a significant part of the diet, pre-milling, that should
> show up there, assuming there were at least some grains that were not
> thoroughly chewed.

Coprolite analysis would indeed be a good way to confirm that
something was part of the paleo diet, but unfortunately the
absence of a coprolite trace doesn't provide much evidence
against it.  In any case, my position is that grains were
probably an adjunct food, meaning that they were eaten just
occasionally, when available in significant quantities and
readily harvested.

But then, lots of foods must have had a similar adjunct status,
including all foods that are only available for a short season.

Todd Moody