From:
Elizabeth Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Feb 2003 23:54:32 EST
[log in to unmask] writes:
 > Do you know if they were using whole fruit for the fructose or pure
 > fructose?

If you follow the link I provided it will take you to the whole paper -- they
used 62 grams of pure fructose -- unfortunately it wasn't he only variable
that they manipulated -- they also increased the fat content of the
experimental diet. But there are lots of reports of deleterious effects of
fructose. If one ate too much fruit, I'm sure that the overload of fructose
would still do injury. Actually I think that the effects of fructose --
increasing insulin resistance; making fat etc. fit nicely into the paradigm
that Wiley and Fromby propose in their book Lights Out -- during the summer
fruit season, we would have eaten an abundance of fruit which would be stored
in the form of fat to see us through the winter -- probably why we evolved no
rate limiting step for the stuff as my last post (which still hasn't come
back yet, so I'll repeat) reported.
... Nearly all the calories from fruit are in the form of simple sugars, and
the most abundant of these is fructose. Fructose, because of its molecular
structure, bypasses the rate-limiting step of glycolysis, which is the
pathway responsible for the conversion of carbohydrate into energy. That
means fructose passes the step where the body decides whether a carb will be
stored as glycogen or fat. Complex carbs like rice and potatoes are preferen
tially stored as glycogen until those stores are filled. Fructose, on the
other hand is converted to fat in the liver then whisked off in the
bloodstream to be stored as body fat. ... Fructose can do three things in the
body: First, it can be converted to fat in the liver; it preferentially fills
liver glycogen stores so that even good complex carbs are more prone to spill
over into fat; and it cannot be used by the muscles to recover glycogen.

Of course when we eat/drink high fructose corn syrup ( 8 - 9% of total
energy) year in year out, we throw off all normal controls (winter), and
obesity/insulin resistance/diabetes is the result. Because fructose doesn't
cause much of an insulin response -- because it ends up entering the blood
stream as fat -- the regular diabetic ADA types actually promote the stuff
for diabetics. Unbelievable! I'm sure if you eat a moderate amount of fruit
especially with its attendant fiber and nutrients it should do no harm. For
myself, except for berries and some melon, I don't indulge much -- rather get
my carbos from vegetables.

Namaste, Liz