From:
"M.E. C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Nov 2001 11:49:01 EST
In a message dated 11/16/01 9:23:24 AM CST, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< As for how to comfort and calm yourself when you have given up all the
 compulsive habits you were using to calm yourself before... This is an
 extremely important question--central.  First of all, recognize that while
 you are learning how to deal with anxiety in other ways, you may sometimes
 need to fall back on your old strategies.  Don't berate yourself when you do
 this.  Just note that at this moment you needed to eat when you weren't
 hungry because you didn't know how else to calm down.

Sheryl,
I have to compliment you on this post....in my opinion very helpful and
supportive.
I have been going through a kind of "withdrawal" from dealing with my
anxieties by hiding them with food, alcohol, addictive behaviors. It is not
easy to learn to just feel the anxiety but it is worth doing. When I first
began going through it..I felt very confused and uncomfortable. I am still
struggling but I am doing it.
You really hit the nail on the head in your writings here. It was good to see
someone put in to words what I had been feeling/thinking.
Thanks!
Mary C.