Date:
Tue, 5 Dec 2000 19:32:34 -0400
Dena L. Bruedigam asked,
" Are there any paleo cookies?  I traditionally bake cookies this time of
year and give them in nice tins for gifts.  Now I feel guilty about giving
people flour and sugar-based stuff."  She added, "I thought about nuts and
dried fruit or homemade trail mix but it justdoesn't seem as festive."

You can make festive gifts with health enhancing foods:  Why not select
colorful fruits to make fruit gift baskets; add bags of nuts or nut mixes or
trail mix tied with colorful ribbons; add jars of unusual nut butters; home
made fruit compote or apple sauce; homemade salad dressings; jerky; or spice
mixes?  There are many festive (red, green, and yellow) fruits---kiwi,
mango, papaya, star fruit, pomegranate, many types of apples not found in
supermarkets but sold in farmers' markets, clementines, etc.

If you want to make gift baskets from things you've purchased, you can buy
Bliss Bars; Jenni's Macaroons (made from only sulfite-free coconut, honey,
and egg whites), which come in several flavors; bulk trail mix; sulfite free
dried apricots, apples, peaches, pears, date pieces, papaya, pineapple, and
berries free of sugar; raw nuts (many varieties exist); cashew, pecan,
almond, pistachio or hazelnut butter (which many people have never tasted);
spice blends in bottles (Frontier brand for example) which are MSG and
filler free; interesting herbal teas, paired with a bottle of stevia extract
powder or liquid; add fresh fruits if you like...

It is only modern commerce and advertising that lead us to think that
festive means sugary baked goods.  I've made healthy food gifts for people
for years and they've enjoyed them.   Festive and healthy can go hand in
hand.  I've never had anyone not enjoy a simple gift of good food....

Rachel Matesz