From:
Ashley Moran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Mar 2008 13:50:05 +0000
On Mar 23, 2008, at 10:12 am, Edwina B wrote:
> - eating so much meat after being mostly a veg and seafood/fish only
> eater for the last ten years or so

Hi Edwina

There's no reason why you can't eat mostly fish still, it's all meat
at the end of the day.

> - feeling guilty about eating so much meat given not really happy
> with the farming of large animals or the killing of them even when
> they have supposedly been farmed ethically (the difference with
> seafood is it lives an unfarmed life and so it doesn't feel as bad
> to me)

Same applies, although you could also find a local organic farm that
will sell direct and ask if you can look around.  I'm sure any genuine
farmer would be happy to spare a few minutes.

> - finding it hard not to feel a bit bored without using some of the
> condiments I've always enjoyed such as balsamic vinegar, black bean
> paste, oyster sauce etc, mostly I've gone back to using them

Balsamic vingegar is made from grapes, so it's close enough to paleo,
right?  Black beans clearly aren't, but then using them as a condiment
is different from making soy your main source of protein, your
choice.  There's a type of japanese soy sauce that is wheat free,
forgot what it's called though.  Oyster sauce is mostly flour and
sugar, I'd avoid too.  Try Thai fish sauce instead, although it tastes
completely different.

Don't forget there's a huge range of acceptable spices you can use, so
you can make most stuff yourself without resorting to prepared
sauces.  Find a chinese supermarket and read the labels for
inspiration.  (Actually there's a lot of paleo stuff in chinese
supermarkets, if you avoid the jars of neon-coloured sauces.  The one
near me has loads of packs of dried herbs for soup stocks, different
dried mushrooms etc.  We only eat a tiny proportion of chinese food,
and it's all westernised, ask a shopkeeper for help if you are
interested.)

> - finding it hard to find the time to shop and cook Paleo in a busy
> life

The last 3 weeks I've been working away from home, and working 10
hours most days without a break.  So when I get back I haven't got the
energy to do anything complicated.  I've started getting a veg box
delivered again, so I only have to go meat shopping once or twice a
week. I only eat in the evenings so that saves a lot of time.  Most of
my meals are just a piece of roast meat with roast/fried/steamed veg
or some fried mince meat with veg.  Nothing time consuming, and means
it always tastes nice because the worst I can do is burn something
(BBQ flavour).

> - feeling a bit of pressure from my partner who is not interested in
> eating Paleo and although he respects my choice he says it feels
> hard for him that it's not so easy for him to cook for me anymore

At a guess I'd say that's because he has no concern for the non-paleo
stuff they hide in everything, and doesn't want to (a) remember what
you don't eat and (b) check that he's not using those things.
Actually (a) is really easy, there's only about 5 things you don't eat
on paleo; the fact (b) is hard is just a sign of how little the food
industry cares about the quality of its produce.  Again simple food is
the answer, don't ask him to cook with anything that isn't clearly a
whole piece of plant/animal.

> - finding it enormously hard not to eat chocolate when premenstrual
> which is the only time I'm remotely interested in it.

I eat chocolate, I have no reason to consider it non-paleo - I think
of it like eating nuts.  Cocoa beans are edible raw.  I prefer to eat
100% chocolate which I consider paleo enough, but as I have to get
that delivered I end up eating 85% stuff a lot of the time, so 15g of
sugar per 100g bar.  Non paleo, I know, but even if I am eating a bar
a week, I am probably consuming less sugar in one week than many
people have JUST in their coffee in ONE MORNING.  So I don't fret too
much.

> I do feel the benefits of the diet have been huge and I'm keen to
> stay on it. How do others stay motivated?

Make it easy for yourself, don't try to prepare 3 gourmet meals a day
or do anything complicated with your food.  Get used to eating meat
and veg regularly and worry about prepared dishes when that is second
( first :) )nature.

Be strict about it.  I cheat a little, but only because after 4 years
I know pretty much the exact effect of eating anything.  And nothing I
cheat on makes me want to binge on bad stuff.  I have a chinese take
away once a week, and while I go for the most paleo bits, there is
still soy sauce, potato flour etc in there.  When I first started
paleo I'd use this as an excuse to eat a bowl or two of rice, now I
don't care.  The same meal I ate might  have a negative effect on you,
so might not be recommended yet.

The final thing is make sure you stay physically fit.  You will have
more energy that way and not feel like you need comfort food to keep
you going.  Get good at something that uses your body naturally, like
climbing, swimming, weight lifting, martial arts, gymnastics or
something.  Think I posted before, but I recently made a comment on a
weight lifting forum that I put on 10kg of muscle in 10 months while
eating one low-carb meal a day (that's about 2/3 of the biological
limit for muscle gain, and higher than many people get eating non-
paleo).  The guy that replied just could not believe it.  (Obviously
women don't get bigger like that, but they do get a lot stronger.)
Anyway, the point is that this has removed any doubt in MY mind that
that I'm doing the right thing, even if everyone else think's I'm out
of my tree.

Hope this helps

Ashley