From:
Ingrid Bauer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Feb 2001 22:23:35 -0800
-  All this continues because there is a
>shortage of all the trace minerals that are in sea water,
>however our system is still seeking the trace minerals and
>it is triggered by the sodium chloride to seek more of that
>food in hopes of getting the trace minerals.   So some
>people eat five or twenty times as much "Salt" as they need
>while trying to satisfy a common craving for those trace
>minerals.

I have tendancy to loose my sodium because i don't have functionning adrenal
cortex.
Salt have been a struggle for me for so many years . I have the feeling that
excess salt consumption by  my mother then me for so many years might have
contributed to the exhaustion of my adrenal glands.
Since i eat instinctivelly i ate the salt on its own and often found it
delicious ( sweet tasting rather than salty), i have also spend months
without any salt intake at all except from the deposit on sea weeds or the
water of clams and oysters.
More i eat salt and more i "need" it , indicating that the body goes in an
elimination mood . If i eat little i need little ( my attraction to salt is
minimal)
the craving for salt is obviouslly related to the total mineralbalance .
when i have plenty of wild green or my own domesticated greens but grown in
unplowed soil the need for salt just becomes inexistant .
when i have to buy organic greens ( mosty lettuces and chicorees) i have
hard time to enjoy them without little bit of salt or lemon juice.
I am pretty sure that the mineral intake by the plants grown in a tilled
,fertilised( even organically), irrigated soil is abnormal and result on
unbalanced mineral composition of the vegetal.
The taste of my lettuces compared to any other organic farmers of the aera
is very strong.
Something to consider for paleo thinking,  the vegetables eaten before the
neolithic were, and by hunter gatherers are , wild grown in untilled soils.
Tilling the soil favorise bacterias over fungi leading to a burst of
nutrients availability followed by a deficiency ( the fertilisers  are spent
quickly) .
Untilled soils release nutrients in a slow persistant manner over a long
time.
A good way to "salt " your  bought vegetables is to dry wild plants and
herbs ( nettle dandelion,  chickweed , chicoree,aromatic plants , etc...)
powder them and sprinkle your salad or cooked meal with it .
An other way to deconcentrate the sodium content of your salt put fresh wild
greens and herbs into it , let them dry and powder the result.
Bioforce  from switzerland , is  proposing already made aromatic salts
"herbamare" but nothing is indicating that the salt is unrefined in the
first place .
jean-claude