From:
Ashley Moran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Apr 2004 20:41:39 +0100
Here is a new topic I'd like to start which apparently hasn't been
discussed before.  In my early teens I started sweating really badly
after exercise, although I didn't really think about it even when
people pointed out I was pouring sweat like a waterfall.  By about
19/20 (I'm 21 now) I got more conscious about it.  My doctor said "some
people just sweat more than others" and wouldn't discuss it any
further.

When I switched to paleo, which was actually only to cure chronic
fatigue, I noticed that among other things, my sweating reduced
enormously.  Whereas before a brisk walk with a coat on would leave me
wet, now I can run to the bus stop at full pelt in a jumper and top and
I hardly even get damp.

After reading The Paleo Diet, I noticed that the idea of sweating too
much fits the same sort of idea (p78-82) as acne, cancer, myopia and
polycystic ovaries.  Maybe (and I don't claim to know any biochemistry
at all) the high levels of hormone IGF-1 and low levels of LGFBP-3
affect the sweat glands like they do the outer skin (my acne is going
too...)

I've scoured the internet, and found that while there are hundreds of
surgeons, drugs and bizarre devices designed to stop sweating, there is
_no_ mention of a connection to diet.  Not even, as there is with acne,
a claim that it _isn't_ diet related (as far as I can tell).
Apparently, 1-3% of the population suffer from hyperhidrosis, and I
can't believe I'm the only one with a diet-related case of it.

I'd like to see this researched for two reasons: first because some
people have HH so bad it controls their whole life, and second because
the surgeons and doctors etc peddling "treatments" for HH are
presumably making a killing off our ignorance of the problem.  Rather
like the way dairy farms are staying in business off the lie that kids
need milk to have strong bones.

Any comments?