From:
Ashley Moran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Feb 2006 22:29:13 +0000
On Feb 02, 2006, at 11:23 am, Keith Thomas wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Feb 2006 00:50 Ashley Moran wrote:
>
> Ashley, perhaps the problem arises in part because you have taken
> yourself through a massive program of open-minded self-education,
> driven by a genuine quest for knowledge. You can hand them on a
> platter
> the results of your quest, but without having been through the process
> as you have, they are mentally unprepared to accept your conclusions.

You are probably right.  I am probably being too harsh on these
people.  I've forgot what it was like to have to relearn everything I
thought I knew, and it didn't happen overnight.  And I didn't have an
unusual interest in food beforehand, at least nothing more than many
people I know now.

> As you may know from my posts, I believe - as does Art De Vany -
> palaeo
> food is part of the picture. Physical activity (and the intensity,
> frequency
> and duration of that activity), sleep, social relationships, mental
> health,
> environmental pollution and other things are all very important
> contributors
> to wellness and what is more important is the synergistic
> interaction between
> them. If this seems all too complicated - hey, who said life was
> meant to be
> simple enough to be understood in a couple of sound bites.

I think all these things are important too.  I'm not doing well
though.  Replying to thread posts is eating into my sleeping time,
and I think it's making me mentally unstable and unsociable :)
Whatever the influence of other things, I think diet is the number
one thing to get right, and reducing excessive day-to-day stresses is
the next.

> For those who really want to understand, I'd suggest they step back
> a way
> and try to understand life on Earth and the human place in nature.
> For people
> who establish that foundation of knowledge and understanding, the
> rest just
> falls into place. The book is "People and Nature: The Big Picture"

I might get a copy.  I'm interested in the sustainability of modern
civilisation.  I have a feeling something is going to give,
somewhere.  If it does, I'm packing a fishing rod and heading to
Greenland.

> I was a vegetarian for 30 years and for 4 of those a thoroughgoing
> vegan.
> Five years ago I switched straight to Palaeo.

Can I ask why you switched after so much time as a vegetarian?

> If you would like something on the health hazards of veganism, try
> this:
> "Overpopulation, vegans eating plastic, and the housing bubble" it
> can be found here:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/da295
>
> That'll put the wind up 'em and put you on the front foot, even
> though it won't prove what they are asking you to prove.

I've bookmarked it to read myself later - I don't want to wave too
many red flags!

Regards
Ashley