From:
julie a kangas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Sep 2000 19:11:01 -0700
From: Stacie Tolen :

> Gee, then perhaps you and I don't exist. Can you really prove that you and
> exist?

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.  A claim of the
existance of a ordinary human being is hardly extraordinary.  Claiming
the existance of a god *is*.

> One day it hit me. I was watching the movie Contact, and Jodi Foster's
> character was talking to her Theologian boyfriend about how it would be
nice
> if a God existed, then we wouldn't have to feel so lonely. My question is,
> how is it possible for you to feel so lonely if God (however you define
> that) does not indeed exist? If God did not exist, you would not feel that
> emptiness, IMO.

Humans are social animals.  As such, we naturally wish to be around
others of our kind.  Hardly compelling "proof" of a supernatural
being.

Julie (another one - a bear killin' one :)