From:
Justin Hasselman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Mar 2001 19:25:34 -0600
>Women may wish to consider some of these potential dangers of HRT:
>http://www.users.qwest.net/~swidemark/hrtlie2.htm and find a doctor who
>will DISCUSS these concerns- not simply dismiss them and assure >you that
>there is no reason for concern.

I disagree with the conclusion the author makes.  She takes a perfect
example of how not to do HRT, and then makes a sweeping conclusion that HRT
is largely ineffective.  If Billy wants to increase his marathon time, and
he starts running 8 hours per day, he will find that he'll overtrain and his
time will actually worsen.  Does this mean that running is an ineffective
way to train for a marathon, or does it mean that he just needs to adjust
his training program... duh. In other words, the women were doing their HRT
flat-out wrong, so no wonder they developed problems.

It's been known since synthetic estrogens hit the market that, for the most
part, they were counterproductive.  How the author turns this into proof
that HRT is ineffective is beyond me.

Normally, I would go thru and dismantle silly articles of this sort.  But it
really doesn't matter to me.  Women who benefit from a proper HRT program
still benefit... even if an expert says it isn't so.  Investors who follow
the semi-strong random walk theory of investing are millionares by the time
they retire... even though the fundamental and technical analyst experts say
the random walkers of WallStreet are wrong.  Lee Haney built at 8-time Mr O
body from anabolic steroids... even though the experts at the time believed
that steroids had no anabolic benefit.  I could go on-and-on with more
cheezy analogies, but I really don't care what the mainstream experts
believe in any field.

Justin