From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Nov 2001 10:05:21 -0500
On Thu, 29 Nov 2001 17:51:15 +0100, Esben Brun <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>Speaking of  tubers that grow in cold climates   -  I have a question
>about " Jerusalem artichoke".
>( in German :  "topinambur"  ,  Amadeus :-)

Ah, that's topinambur.
I've been recommended it for creating quick growing plant curtains and for
loosening of the soil. They grow relally fast.
I haven't tried them, but I will. For some food item you just need the idea
to try it.
I experienced this with a lot of food items which now are favourites for me.
Like teltow turnips, hokkaido pumpkin, chestnuts.

UDSA and a program query resulted in that:
Jerusalem A. are very low density items (with a lot of water).
You would need a lot to get filled (8 kg).
I consider that as a good sign - you can eat as much as you want of it.
I think it's also a sign of beeing closer to the average wild tuber
(sweet and white potatoe are unusally dense).
Likewise the energy to protein ratio is 3 (for 2600 kcal you would get 3
times rda protein).

I know they are related to sunflowers.
Well if you say they are good eaten raw I'll try that.

Amadeus