From:
Julie Jarvis RPA-C <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Dec 1998 10:09:58 -0600
Hi Libby:
I'm replying to you personally as well as to the list.  My daughter is
also 9 years old, and sounds like a clone of your daughter.  Trouble
with school, even though she loves learning and is very creative and
eager to please, sugar cravings, "hyper"/wiggly behavior, signs of
dyslexia etc.  My husband and I have been on a low carb diet for several
months, and since we started I had tried to get my kids to limit carbs.
I wondered if this dietary approach would be as beneficial to my kids
(also have a son, age 12) as it has been to us.  Recently found the book
"Feed Your Kids Well" by Dr. Pescatore (works with Dr. Atkins) which
outlined a low carb approach to kids' diets.  He has some chapters on
ADHD.  So, now our whole family is low-carbing(for 2+ weeks)and I have
seen a marked improvement in my daughter's behavior and ability to
focus.  She feels it, too.  After several days of absolutely no sugar
and very little wheat, she now is voluntarily not eating these things.
She is packing her own school lunch and told me she was "hooked" on this
new diet.  She is thin already, and has not lost any weight, in fact I
think that she's growing taller. Please pick up the book and it will
give you a solid basis and the validation you need to try this way of
eating to see if your daughter will benefit.

BTW- on dyslexia-- both my husband and son have diagnosed dyslexia with
more trouble writing than reading.  I have seen signs of this in my
daughter, but so far it has not been as apparent in her.  Please find
the book: The Gift of Dyslexia-- sorry don't have the author's name
available right now.  It gives a very interesting perspective on
dyslexia and how to manage this.  Must read!

Please email me privately if you wish, I'd like to correspond with you
since we have such similar sounding daughters!

Julie Jarvis   mailto:[log in to unmask]