From:
Keith Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Oct 2005 05:14:36 -0500
On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 15:03:41 -0700, michael raiti wrote:

>  I cycle
>> through beef, lamb and goat for around half
>> my red meat and kangaroo / rabbit / hare (all wild)
>> for the other half. No pig.
>
>> Keith
>
>Why no pig?
>
>Mike

Two reasons, and both are preferences, not principles.  (1) pig physiology is pretty close to human
and there is probably more likely to be viral nasties coming across in pig meat than any other. The
pig, for example, is likely to be the intermediate mixing cauldron between H5N1 from birds and
human influenza from people. If the two viruses come together it's likely they'll do it in a pig.

(2) It is almost impossible to get grass-fed pig.  There is plenty of organic pig meat, but this is a
long way from grass/root etc-fed pig. So you just don't know what you are getting.

I occasionally have bacon if I'm travelling, but that's about it.

Keith