From:
Lynda Bryson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Aug 2003 15:15:48 -0700
<< I came across the book "Give Your Dog A Bone" at
the vets the other day (in Australia). Has anyone else
read this book (and tried it out on their dog)? >>

Yes, the "biologically appropriate" diet for dogs
concept described by Ian Billinghurst, the Australian
veterinarian who wrote GYDB and its follow-up, "Grow
Your Pups With Bones," caught on like wildfire among
various canine-related Internet lists several years
ago.  Other people have written books on their own
version of this way of feeding, and there a number of
Internet lists devoted to the subject of "BARF" (Bones
and Raw Food, or Biologically Appropriate Raw Food)
for dogs in general, and even breed-specific lists.

In fact, I found the Paleo list as a result of my dogs
being on BARF.  Someone on a breed list I subscribe to
mentioned there was a "BARF for humans" list and,
well, here I am!

Billinghurst tends to avoid providing details on exact
amounts to feed, preferring a more flexible approach
by giving percentages (e.g., 60% bones).  Some folks
are more comfortable with more detail than that, and
one source for that is a book by Kymythy Schultz
(can't remember the name but it's on amazon).

The more I learned about what's really in commercial
dog food formulas -- even the so-called "premium"
brands -- I became convinced that BARF made sense for
my dogs and have been feeding this way for over 4
years.  There are far more resources on the Internet
now than when Billinghurst's book first came to light.
 Do a lot of reading to decide if you want to go to
the next step.  Subscribe to a BARF list (easy to find
with a google search) to talk with folks experienced
in this way of feeding so that if you then decide to
use this diet, you'll have a support system to help
you with any questions.

Bone appetit!  (Sorry, couldn't resist)

Lynda Bryson