From:
Paleo Phil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Aug 2008 17:20:20 -0400

I'd be interested in using coconut oil if it didn't make everything taste
like coconut (and I don't mean the cream or the milk). I looked into
William's suggestion of tasteless (refined) coconut oil, but it doesn't
sound nearly as healthy as the virgin coconut oil:

How is Coconut Oil Produced?
http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/what_is_virgin_coconut_oil.htm

<<Refined Coconut Oil

Most commercial grade coconut oils are made from copra. Copra is basically
the dried kernel (meat) of the coconut. It can be made by: smoke drying, sun
drying, or kiln drying , or derivatives or a combination of these three. If
standard copra is used as a starting material, the unrefined coconut oil
extracted from copra is not suitable for consumption and must be purified,
that is refined. This is because the way most copra is dried is not
sanitary. The standard end product made from copra is RBD coconut oil. RBD
stands for refined, bleached, and deodorized. High heat is used to deodorize
the oil, and the oil is typically filtered through (bleaching) clays to
remove impurities. Sodium hydroxide is generally used to remove free fatty
acids and prolong shelf life. This is the most common way to mass-produce
coconut oil. The older way of producing refined coconut oil was through
physical/mechanical refining (see Tropical Traditions Expeller Pressed
Coconut Oil.). More modern methods also use chemical solvents to extract all
the oil from the copra for higher yields.

RBD oil is also sometimes hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated. This
happens mostly in tropical climates, since the natural melting point of
coconut oil is about 76 degrees F, and already naturally a solid in most
colder climates. Since coconut oil is mostly saturated, there is little
unsaturated oil left to hydrogenate. Hydrogenated oils contain trans fatty
acids.>>