From:
Alison Ashwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 10:46:08 +0200
Ingrid Bauer/J-C Catry wrote:

> >Gull eggs are a good seasonal snack too and the adults are not over
> >protective parents so hatchlings are another easy prey.
>
> when is the season in scotland , where do they choose to put their nests?

The particular place we went to collect the eggs was a little
uninhabited island - Craro {sp?] and another one i can't remember the
official name of nearby [Ghost island was the name i heard it called
most often since it would loom out of the fog]. It was good for
collecting since the rocks were not high cliffs or similar .
It was swimable and generally pretty calm [even at easter]  but we
always went by rowing boat.
I would guess that the season varies across Scotland since the country
has the Gulf Stream on the western side and this certainly has the
effect of bringing unusual fish in and allowing exotic plants to be
grown outside. Birds remain all year round that would ordinarily only
visit etc.
I couldn't say exactly since at the time I was just told how and where
to collect but it could have been durimg easter holidays rather than
early summer] I think the gulls were common gulls if that helps.

It may well be illegal to take gull eggs now btw - I'm not sure of
their
status but it is not illegal to posess eggs or feathers of protected
birds even if they were killed by accident.
[The hatchling thing was a postulation about food collecting for
earlier
peoples based on history, not my personal experience]

Alison