From:
Jim Swayze <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Jun 2005 09:38:21 -0500
Adrienne > Have you changed your exercise routine at all since going lower in protein and lowering saturated fat, upping monos and Omega 3s?

Actually, no, I haven't changed that at all.  I have been doing high intensity weight training for about half my life.  Here's an exercise snippet from the paleo paper I send to my friends and family:

"There is not a little debate on the type of exercise our bodies were built for.  I believe that -- for men at least, who were primarily responsible for the hunting part of the hunter-gatherer equation -- our bodies are designed for periods of high intensity one to three times a week followed by periods of rest.  I follow Arthur Jones' high intensity weight training protocol and work out Mondays and Thursdays for about 20 minutes total per workout.  Despite the fact that I'm "only" lifting weights, I do it at such a high level of intensity -- with little time between exercises -- that my cardiovascular system is taxed at higher levels than if I were doing 'aerobic' activities such as running or swimming.  I believe this more effectively mimics the type and frequency of exercise that ancient man engaged in.  I find it fun that I am a weight lifter and am in excellent cardiovascular shape, a seeming contradiction to the overwhelming majority of fitness gurus."

See http://www.asep.org/jeponline/issue/Doc/Dec2004/Smith.doc and http://www.ultimate-exercise.com/cv.html