From:
Lynn Razaitis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jun 2004 08:55:37 -0700
I do and lots of them. I ferment saurekrauts and kimchis as well as root vegetables. I would love to know some hunter-gather references to this but have only seen hints of it mentioned in a few of my fermentation books. Such as "evidence has been found of fermented vegetables similar to cabbage in the hunter-gather period" but can't find a reference to this evidence.
Anyhow regardless....I feel much better with lots of these included in my diet.

I also use a product called EM (effective microorganisms) which I ferment in various liquids. It comes from research in Japan and is a very large symbiotic group of bacteria, yeasts and probably phages.  There has been some speculation I've come across that it's probably similar to what we would have ingested lots of when our food was left laying around and we drank from the edges of ponds and streams.  I've also seen some speculation that before we polluted our airs and waters there were quite a bit more microorganisms for us to naturally ingest. (Just google EM and VInny Pinto for a master info site with lots of links.)
Interesting thoughts....but for me the stuff seems to work well and I have no side effects.

Lynn

Mary <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
I have come across the mention of fermented foods in the paleo diet.

I'm interested in this.

Some hunter gatherers ate fermented meats.

I'm wondering, is anyone else on the list making fermented foods?

Thank you,

Mary