From:
Lynnet Bannion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 1999 20:27:45 -0600
Amy O'Dell wrote:

> Are all starches forbidden?  Are black eyed peas, pintos, etc. no good?
> These can be eaten 'in the wild' with some cooking.

Ryan's exactly right, but for a little more background:  the vegetable foods
that you MUST cook are in that category because they have compounds in them that
make you sick, use up your vitamins, or otherwise do you harm when eaten raw.
In particular, grains and beans.  The theory is that just because cooking
remedies some of the harm that these foods cause, doesn't mean that cooking
overcomes ALL the problems caused by these foods.  Many of us who have come to
Neanderthin and prospered have had health problems caused by these common foods
(I became celiac from overconsumption of wheat).

The Neanderthin food choices also eliminate the top allergy foods: peanuts,
dairy, wheat, soy, corn.

The only major carbohydrate source left is fruit (and to a lesser extent nuts).
Those of us who have hypoglycemia or diabetes do better by strictly limiting the
fruit too.

Finally, we get off the trans-fats (by eliminating processed foods), and Omega-6
oils (by eliminating seed oils) and onto the Omega-3's, which has lots of health
benefits.  The entire blood lipid picture changes if you stay away from seed
oils, and eat mainly wild or range-fed meat.

Lynnet

p.s. Ray's book is not expensive, and goes into a lot more detail on these
matters.
When you can, it would be good to get it.