From:
Lynnet Bannion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jun 2000 21:46:13 -0600
Nelson Bryson wrote:

> This ordinance is about pet owners and companion animals (such as dogs and
> cats), not farmers and livestock, although the AR folks' ultimate goal is
> to not only eliminate companion animals thru mandatory spay/neuter laws
> (thereby ending their "enslavement" to their owners) but also to allow
> livestock and all domesticated animals to live "free" again (per PETA's
> leader, Ingrid Newkirk).

A touch paranoid, perhaps?  There is NO lack of dogs and cats around;
Our local Humane Society puts down literally thousands of dogs and
cats per years which don't have homes.  These people, who really care
about animals, end up in the position of being the "Humane Death Society",
which is very discouraging.  If dogs and cats were endangered species,
I'd feel differently about spay/neuter laws.

> But that's called "animal
> welfare" -- NOT animal rights!

Any action which interferes with some corporation making big bucks
from treating animals like machines gets attacked as "animal rights".
It's the new pejorative.  As a matter of fact, you don't need to torment
animals in order to raise them and harvest them as food.  You can
just make a bigger profit doing it that way.

Lynnet