From:
Marilyn Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Apr 2007 11:15:12 -0400
Hi Ron (Hoggan) and others;

I am just reading your book, Ron and I am attempting to follow a gluten-free period in my diet just now.

I was very interested in reading how gluten interferes with the activity of the bodies natural killer cells lessening their abiltiy to rid the body of damaged cells (cells which can be potentially cancerous). However, I did a little research on the web and came upon the following paper that seems to indicate that wheat gluten hydrolysate (is this different from plain old gluten?) actually increased natural killer cell activity? Maybe I am reading this wrong though?

Do you have any knowledge about this seemingly contradictory information?

Thanks,

Marilyn

* * *

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=16377907&dopt=Abstract

Effect of wheat gluten hydrolysate on the immune system in healthy human subjects.

Horiguchi N, Horiguchi H, Suzuki Y.

Horiguchi Clinic, Kagawa, Japan.

Nine healthy volunteers were divided into a test group (n = 5) and a control group (n = 4). The test group consumed 3 grams per d of wheat gluten hydrolysate for 6 d, and their NK cell activity and hematological parameters were measured: The same assessments were performed in the control group, which did not receive wheat gluten hydrolysate. In the test group, NK cell activity increased significantly (P = 0.018) after wheat gluten hydrolysate intake. No adverse effects were observed in either group.

* * *