From:
Elizabeth Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Dec 2002 17:19:27 EST
In a message dated 12/3/02 4:47:47 AM, [log in to unmask] writes:

>I think it is well established (a Nobel Prize was awarded for this) that
>
>certain saturated fatty acids downregulate hepatic LDL receptors,
>
>slowing reuptake of LDL by the liver.  This is a known mechanism by
>
>which (certain) saturated fats increase LDL.  What should happen,
>
>however, is that over time the liver should compensate by producing less
>
>LDL.  But it seems that it doesn't always work that way.

Tom,

Do you know the mechanism responsible for saturated fat downregulating LDL
receptors or have a good descriptive reference.

>>Ray Audette suggested an even

more radical cut in carbs and an increase in fat, a diet of just fatty

meats and leafy greens.  I did this for a few weeks and got re-tested. This
time total cholesterol was 320; all of the increase was LDL.... In subsequent
years, my total cholesterol has drifted down somewhat,

however at around 275.  My HDL has drifted up to about 48.<<

It sounds like you were what in the literature is called a responder --
although this designation is slippery - people who raise their cholesterol in
response to short term dietary changes don't necessarily respond like that
again. The lower carb approach may have produced results over a longer time
period. In my case, after I had adopted essentially a meat (protein), low
starch veggies and nuts diet I didn't have my cholesterol number done for
another year or so -- I have no idea what short term fluctuations there might
have been -- but the numbers, especially the ratio got much, much better.
Still, after reading lots of stuff on this -- I'm more and more convinced
that cholesterol is not the problem. And diet's effect on cholesterol in the
long haul is even more spurious.

Was reading a medical physiology book from 1965 and the authors claimed then
that to lower one's cholesterol one could either lower fat intake or
carbohydrate intake -- they talked about evidence that more benefits from
lowering carb intake. The role carbohydrates play in cholesterol synthesis
is not played up in recent physiology texts.  Suppose it's not politcally
correct.

Do you think your diet is responsible for  your cholesterol drift down in the
case of TC and up in the case of HDL. Or perhaps your diet has fostered
greater health (less inflammation, etc.) that means whatever need your body
had for cholesterol has lessened. Less need -- less production and more
clearance.

Namaste, Liz
<A HREF="http://www.csun.edu/~ecm59556/Healthycarb/index.html">
http://www.csun.edu/~ecm59556/Healthycarb/index.html</A>