Date:
Fri, 13 Oct 2000 17:31:24 -0400
Adrienne Smith asked about  EGG SHELLS & CALCIUM. I don't have
information
on that.  But, I do save ALL the bones from chicken, turkey, game
hens,
beef, lamb, etc... even if we've eaten off the bones.  I save them in
containers in the freezer, then regularly cook them for 12-24 hours
(with
some vinegar or lemon juice), bay leaf, and usually a strip of kelp or
kombu
seaweed, to create a thick, milky, gelatin rich broth which is
incredibly
rich in calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, glucosamine sulfate, and other
bone
building nutrients.  I concentrate the broth by cooking it down a lot.
It
actually looks a lot like milk.  I've read that a cup of bone broth
can
contain as much calcium as a glass of milk---the stuff I make must
contain
more because it is so concentrated and thick. It is like a thin jello
in the
fridge---from all that gelatin released from the cartilege.

I use it as the liquid in a lot of recipes---barbecue sauce, tomato
sauce,
simmering kale or collards after sauteing, making soup, stew, steaming
vegetables, warming leftover poultry in a skillet, or making a warm,
seasoned broth to drink with meals.  The flavor of things made with it
is
fantastic and I know we are getting a lot of good nutrients and that I
am
using things most people toss out without thinking.

Healthfully,

Rachel Matesz,
Healthy cooking coach