From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jul 2000 11:39:08 -0400
On Thu, 20 Jul 2000, Amadeus Schmidt wrote:

> The difference between fat burning and carbohydrate burning is therefore
> that the "pyruvate dehydrogenase complex" isn't necessary.

Yes.

> This part of the burning engine uses an enzyme "pyruvate decarboxylase".
> Which is thiamin *dependent* (vitamin B1 dependent).
>
> A thiamin lack causes a stowag in the stage of pyruvate. ...

Niacin and lipoic acid are also essential for the pyruvate
dehydrogenase complex to work.

> >(1) For unknown reasons, some people have difficulty with the
> >conversion of pyruvate to ATP, so their ability to burn glucose
> >is impaired.
>
> Missing pyruvate decarboxylase is a striking reason, isn't it?

Well, it's a striking hypothesis.  If it's missing, there remains
the question of why it's missing.  If it's dietary, then that
would imply that obese people are getting less thiamin or niacin
than others.  But there are plenty of obese people who take large
multi-vitamin supplements, including the B vitamins, who
nevertheless remain obese.  So simply increasing intake of
thiamin and niacin doesn't appear to correct the problem. Lipoic
acid is mainly made in the cells; there could be some impediment
to its formation in the obese.

> Recommended anchell fruit, as a tendency was high in decarboxylation
> vitamins, forbidden fruit was low.

Well, I need to check that again, considering the total thiamin
and niacin "score" for each one, and see if it looks promising.

Todd Moody