From:
Bernard Lischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jun 1999 11:33:02 -0700
>I have a question (again).
>I have noticed on several occasions, that drinking coconut milk makes me
>extremely hungry about one hour later. The hunger lasts till the end of
>the day no matter what or how much I eat. I was just wodering - what
>could be causing this? Has anyone noticed anything similar?

Yes, sort of.  When I tried coconut milk as a fat source (I don't buy it
anymore) I would open a can, eat some, and then put it in the fridge.  A
half hour later I'd get a craveing for it and go have some more, and so on
until I'd devoured the whole can.  It is pretty much the only food that has
this effect on me.  You could interpret it to mean that the body needs
tropical plant saturates (I am N. European, so how could that be?) or
saturates in general, but I get plenty of the latter from my high meat
consumtion (the actual evolutionary source).  You could also think of it in
a food allergy/ addiction sense.  And of course, you can always just say
that it just tastes good and therefore one pigs out on it, perhaps within
the context of some kind of psychological mechanism.  It's hard to come to a
conclusion, and this type of thing makes choices in general difficult, so in
cases like this I use the old 'evolutionary yardstick' to see how the food
measures up.

What I have come to realize is that coconut fat in the diet pushes my
dietary lipid profile away from the range that would have been possible
before agriculture.  Whether you believe that saturated fat is harmful or
not, the simple fact remains that in comparison to modern western diets,
pre-agricultural diets were low in saturates and had a much lower n-6 to n-3
ratio.

B. Lischer

B. Lischer