From:
Ray Audette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Jul 1998 06:55:52 -0700
Let me see.  An animal the size of an elephant who survives a winter on
the ice age tundra vs a relativly tiny 2,000 lb. cow fed grain for a few
weeks.  Do I really need a reference?

Actually frozen mammoths have been eaten as recently as the 1950's in
Siberia.  The last mammoths are known to have survived on Wrangle Island
as recently as 4,000 years ago.  Stefansson himself tried to establish a
colony on this Siberian Arctic island (much to the chagrin of the
Russians who owned it) but found it was much too harsh for his colonists,
several of whom died (the musk oxen they brought migrated).  Stefansson
found that to survive without vegetables in this enviroment, the Inuit
go more than 50% of their calories from animal fat.  Often in H-G
cultures some animals are hunted primarily for their fat.  Walrusus are a
good example of this for Inuit as are bears for other Native Americans.

Ray Audette
Author "NeanderThin"