From:
Ken ONeill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Aug 2009 07:56:19 -0500
Obesity is one factor of metabolic syndrome. Evans and Rosenberg's work at
Tufts 20 years ago investigating muscle wasting or sarcopenia concluded
that the long held view that muscle wasting is a normal condition of aging
is wrong: muscle wasting is a major cause of aging. With it comes metabolic
syndrome, including osteoporosis, hypertension, obesity, adult onset type
II diabetes, arthritis, and other conditions. The muscle that wastes away
is type II strength fiber, not type I endurance muscle. Between 25-50 loss
is about half a pound yearly, doubling between 50 and late 60s, then
doubling again. Hormone production suffers as well. The good news is muscle
wasting/metabolic syndrome is preventable as well as arrestible/reversible.
How? Strength training. Ever notice how as people age their butts
disappear, legs look like pencils? That's muscle wasting.

The key to success is incremental redevelopment of lost muscles. At risk
are sedentary folks and those doing lots of aerobics. Even Kenneth Cooper
now advocates backing off aerobics in favor of strength training the older
you get.

Paleo diet presupposes evolutionary adaptation expressed in our genetic
code; same applies to muscle wasting/metabolic syndrome. My work integrates
both, often with physicians. I've been at strength training for fifty
years, run a consulting and educational gym and service, and am writing
pursuant to publication on the matter.

best regards,

Ken O'Neill
Longlife Fitness