From:
Irwin Mortman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Dec 1998 12:39:42 -0500
Sorry, I noticed that for some reason the formatting was messed up. I
hope this is okay.

>>Date:    Mon, 28 Dec 1998 11:25:45 -0500
>>From:    MS KATHRYN P ROSENTHAL <[log in to unmask]>
>>Subject: Is Kosher Really Kosher for Us?
>
>>I'll be going back to NM in a few weeks.  Anyone know the real deal on
>>kosher?
>>
>>Kath in Mich.

Okay, here's the scoop on kosher, I'll try to brief and concise:

1.      The word "kosher" means fit, as in proper.
2.      The Hebrew Bible provides details on which foods are kosher.
        a,      Animals must have split hooves and chew their cud.
        b.      Fish must have scales and fins.
        c.      Fowl is a bit more complicated, the bible lists which
birds are not to be eaten, the interpretations are:
        a.      Birds that are predators are not kosher
        b.      Kosher birds must have:
                i.      An extra toe
                ii.     A gizzard
                iii.    A crop
3.      Dairy products are not eaten nor mixed with meat products.
4.      The following foods are considered neutral (pareve), eggs,
fish and vegetables.
5.      Fowl is considered a meat product.
6.      Animals and fowl must be slaughtered in a detail prescribed manner.
7.      Since dairy and meat can not neurologist mixed together,
separate utensils and dishes are traditionally used.
8.      There are various organizations that certify that food
produced is kosher. These organizations provide their marking on the
packaging for the consumer.

That's it in a nutshell. As you probably can imagine, volumes and
volumes have been written on this subject and at times it can be very
complicated.

Hope this provides some clarification.