From:
Neil Abrahams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Jan 2004 08:21:06 -0800
Mark,

Thanks for the cautionary note. Your message spurred me to check the US
Nutrient Data Lab listings for pink salmon, both cooked, dry heat, /and
/canned, to see if they showed a difference in oil contents (they use
the scientific terminology for the omega-3 fatty acids: Alpha-linolenic
acid (ALA) is listed as 18:3, eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), as 20:5; and
docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) as 22:6). Given that the sample sizes used to
determine the acids and the values listed for them are the same for both
foods, it's safe to say that the USDA didn't separately test them and
considers their omega-3 fatty acids to be identical. I can only assume
that's based on sound science and also assume that salmon is indicative
of other fish that's available canned as well as fresh. Of course I
prefer fresh for many reasons, but canned is undoubtedly cheaper, and
storage and handling are never concerns.

Sincerely,
Neil

P.S. A link to the nutrition tables at the USDA follows:
http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/cgi-bin/nut_search.pl