From:
Richard Geller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jul 2001 14:16:56 -0400
> Cairo wrote:
>
> <<As much as I love meat
> and vegetables, and could live solely on these for the rest of my life, it
> would be nice to have a few sauces to go with it>>

I use sauces all the time, I love sauces and cooking.

The French ideal of sauces contain a lot of butter and some flour, so if you
want to be strictly paleo you can make sauces that do not involve butter and
flour. That leaves a lot.

I personally use a bit of butter occasionally (but never flour) and I'll
make a Hollandaise sauce sometimes, for instance, but most of the sauces I
make will be have ingredients including:

egg or egg yolk, olive oil, herbs, shallots, onions, garlic, ginger,
parsley, cilantro, peppers (although I am intolerant to peppers a small
quantity doesn't seem to hurt), lemon juice, lime juice, cider vinegar,
black/white pepper, nuts, sesame oil, salt (and I'm sure I'm leaving stuff
out).

I do not handle tomatoes but if you do then that opens up a lot of other
possibilities.

I also don't mind a small quantity of natural fermented (wheat free Tamari)
soy sauce now and then in a sauce. I don't feel that a small quantity of
this now and then is an issue although I don't eat soy as a rule.

Yes, you can't use parmesan cheese in a pesto but you can still make a
pretty decent pesto without the cheese.

Lots of sauce possibilities

--Richard