From:
Batsheva <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 2010 16:25:05 -0700
It always amazes me when dietary figureheads die, sometimes eating their last
words.   Remember when Nathan Pritikin died?     And then there was the passing
of Atkins.  Well, okay, the headline said he slipped on NYC sidewalk........
I'll never forget when my macrobiotic dietary guru at the time had to explain to
his followers why his wife, and daughter died within a year of each other of
cancer. How could this be, we wondered?  Didn't they eat this great  diet to a
tee?  ANd wait a minute... we were eating this diet too!!!   We were even told
by our teachers that if we ate macrobiotically,   it would be a " Like a State
Farm Umbrella"  - a life insurance policy so to speak, over our heads as far as
cancer was concerned. And  that macrobiotics was the best kept million dollar
secret.   The 'school/institute' he founded, and which I attend,   tried to keep
the family  deaths a secret for as long as possible so as not to dissuade us
from re-registering for another semester.  And this guy actually made it into
the Smithsonian Institute for his contribution to promoting a grain based diet
that led to the revised food pyramid.  I'll be polite and not mention names.

Yes, mortality is 100%.  Common sense, well, that waivers.  That's why I hope
that one day, Audette makes as much royalty from Neanderthin as  Ornish has
reaped.  Never give away the  power to reason,  or any power for that
matter....just continue to  develop good instinct and hope for the best.

Best,
Batsheva

From: Jim Swayze
Forgive me for seeming flippant. It is not my intention at all.  But seeing how
the mortality rate remains at 100 percent, it seems to me the diet is always and
forever a tradeoff.

I believe the ultimate human diet is one that is high fat, moderate protein, and
very low carbohydrate for most of the year. It of course avoids all Neolithic
foods and might healthfully involve limited low glycemic, high fiber
carbohydrates in season.

Vary from that at your own risk.