From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jan 1998 20:53:51 -0500
On Tue, 30 Dec 1997, Susan Carmack wrote:

> I love pemmican and raw meat, however I believe that beef (and any animal
> that is grain fed) is giving me a gluten reaction. I have found a local
> supply of wild meat but it is expensive. How can I live the paleoway on a
> budget?

All herbivorous animals are grain fed, in that they eat grasses
and their seeds, and these contain gluten.  Feedlot animals are
fattened by the addition of things such as corn and soybeans to
their diet, and these do not contain gluten.  So, to the extent
that free-range animals eat more grasses than feedlot animals,
they also consume more gluten, since the protein is in the grass
seeds.

In any case, I can't think of any way in which dietary gluten
could be incorporated (as gluten) into the muscle tissues of
cattle.  Perhaps the meat you are eating has been in contact with
gluten in some other way.

Todd Moody