From:
Jim Swayze <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jun 2010 06:55:25 -0500

> Kirk: Just wondering about your exercise regimen. I'm wondering if
> you've designed it to approximate some minimal hunter-gatherer
> exertion levels, etc? Or is it for some other reason?

My workout regimen consists of two or three workouts per week, single
set at high levels of intensity (to the point of exhaustion -- at the
end of each set I cannot complete another repetition).  While it's
certainly not the only paleo activity pattern, I do believe it to be
reflective of the hunter pattern of two to three days of intense
hunting activity followed by much rest and lazing around camp.  I
believe the anthropological and archeological record supports this
fairly well.  The key is what is the minimum required to  trigger
maximal increases in functional capability.

A typical workout at the gym, then, would consist of leg presses, leg
extensions, some sort of chest fly or chest press, underhanded
pullups or lat pulldowns, maybe a lateral raise with dumbbells to
work the deltoids and a special exercise I do for the weak muscles in
the back of my neck.  I always leave nearly gasping for air -- and
usually get strange looks because I'm doing "anaerobic" activities.
Heart really gets going and to say the muscles (which the heart
supports, not the other way around) are tired is an understatement.

My workout for the purposes of this trial will be, at least
initially, much simpler.  Unweighted squat to exhaustion (may
eventually take me up to five minutes to get there), underhand
pullup, pushup, and 400 meter run.

Jim