From:
Sheryl Canter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Oct 2001 13:52:17 EDT
Hi Cairo,

I have the same problem you do--except I look about 3 months pregnant rather
than 6.  Sometimes my abdomen is sticking out when I wake up, but sometimes
it's flat in the morning, and then starts to stick out as soon as I eat.
Regardless of how flat it starts out, my abdomin tends to become increasingly
bloated over the course of the day (or used to), so by evening what I put on
in the morning may be tight around the waist and uncomfortable, though it fit
fine when I put it on.  Like you I am 5'6".  I weigh a little less than you,
but not much less.  I have a history of bowel problems--specifically,
ulcerative colitus.  Do you have bowel problems that you know about?

Is it your lower abdomen that's sticking out?  (That's the case with me.)
This is a sign that your intestines are bloating, and it has nothing to do
with drinking water.  One common cause of lower abdominal bloating is
candida.  Dr. Robert Atkins says that lower abdominal bloating is a primary
symptom of candida overgrowth.  In any case, it is a sign that food is
fermenting in your bowel.  Grains and dairy can cause this (each for
different reasons), but other foods that are legal on a paleo diet can cause
it, too.  If you have a candida overgrowth problem and are eating very sweet
food (lots of fruit or--worse--dried fruit like raisins), it will feed the
candida.  A typical candida diet eliminates all foods that taste sweet (this
includes fruit) for some period of time (6 months to a year).  I can't stick
with that, so instead I loaded up on probiotics to get my intestinal flora
back in balance.  The two obvious food sources for probiotics (yogurt and
homemade fermented veggies--store-bought is usually not biologically active)
are not paleo, so you might want to use supplements.

A good one is Primadophilus, from Nature's Way (company).  It's enteric
coated to survive stomach acid--100% intestinal release.  Otherwise (they
say) up to 95% of the bacteria can be lost in the stomach.  Each 290 mg
capsule contains 2.9 billion bacteria: bifidobacteria (bifidobacterium breve
and bifidobacterium longum) and lactobaccili (lactobaccilus rhamnosus and
lactobaccilus acidophilus).  It's hypoallergenic and contains no dairy.
 Other ingredients are malodextin, gelatin, gelatin enteric coating, and
magnesium sterate.  You can get it in the refrigerator section of health food
stores.

Or you may want to use yogurt for a while.  It's sort of "borderline"
paleo--a minimal breaking of the rules.  Make sure you buy yogurt with both
the acidophillus and bifidus bacteria.  Brown Cow is a good brand.  Or
Stonybrook Farms.  These are organic yogurts, whole fat and not homogenized
(yogurt cream on top).  I was actually using these as starter cultures and
making my own yogurt for a while, using raw milk from a local farm.

I was eating huge amounts of yogurt before starting the paleo diet, and
between that and the probiotic supplements my bloating problem is much
better.  This is not to say my stomach doesn't stick out--it does--but it
doesn't grow in the course of the day like it used to.  It's sticking out all
the time now because I've actually gained weight since starting the paleo
diet.  Diets of any kind tend to make me gain weight because of the craziness
I feel when my food is being restricted (the classic diet/binge syndrome).
That's a whole separate issue, of course.  If you'd like to discuss this off
list, please write to me at [log in to unmask]

     - Sheryl