From:
Ro Countryman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Nov 2009 20:04:03 -0500
Hi, List!

Some of you may remember me.  I'm Ro.  I haven't been here for awhile--life,
and all.   Good to talk to you again.

I've been ill, and had issues, and life happen, yada, yada, and have been
off-Paleo for some time.  I'm getting ready to go back on.  As I do, I have
a question.

But first, I thought you might find this interesting:  when I first went on
paleo, and lost 270 lbs, my doctors were dumbstruck.   But now, my
neurologist has really come full-circle, and is pushing the usefulness of
gluten and dairy-free eating.  She's seen patients with complex immune and
neurological problems (like me) respond greatly to the regimine, and she
often tells them about my experience.  She's also been testing her patients
for Vitamin D levels and other things, and she said she's been "shocked" at
how low people's levels have been.

I admit it's been gratifying, to finally get some support and validation
from the medical quarter for paleo and evolutionary nutrition.

I'm also gratified, as I get back into it, to find there's a lot more
choices now, in the low-carb and gluten-free world of commercial food
products.  The local Harry's Farmer's market up the street--which I'm lucky
lucky lucky enough to live near since I moved to Atlanta when I
remarried--it has a very good selection of grassfed meat products from Ga
farmers, and a lot of other things.

Which brings me to my question:

Are the gluten free type of bread and cracker and other products, are these
truly paleo-safe, in terms of health reactions?  In other words, if you are
concerned about leaky gut and Crohns and such, are they useful or bad?

I'm wondering if removing gluten is enough, in terms of the whole foreign
protein/leaky gut/immunological issues thing?   I haven't kept up, so I
don't know.  I do know that maintaining on pale might be much easier with a
few more convenience foods in my arsenal.  It certainly might let me keep my
husband more in the paleo eating loop if I could make him a sandwich for his
lunch sometimes, or crumble a few gluten-free crackers up to bind my salmon
patties.

Thanks in advance for your help :-)

best,
Ro