From:
Jacques Laurin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Dec 1998 14:28:27 +0000
Katie Bretsch wrote:

> I can't tell you how glad I am to see this admission from someone with
>   credibility on this list...While the arguments concerning grain products and dairy are much more
>   persuasive,  I'm just not persuaded that the optimal diet my genes are
>   tuned for, if you will, is strictly and exclusively raw...

I would like to comment on this.

- Nutrition has been practiced in an almost constant manner for millions of
years. It allowed a selection that materialized in the survival of the
fittest.

- Modern nutrition has changed very often and has only been practiced for a
few thousand years, which seems a lot at the scale of human history but
represents very little at the scale of life on earth.

Now the important point here is that if we have the right to hope for  a
future adaptation to the new proteins of wheat, corn or cow's milk, it's a
different story when we are talking about cooked food. Many new chemical
species generated by the action of cooking, isomers for instance, differ too
much from the natural molecules to expect our digestive enzymes to be active
on them. Furthermore, even if some of us are adapted in part to certain new
foodstuff, it's impossible to tell for sure in advance...

Yours

Jacques Laurin