Date:
Sun, 9 Nov 2003 18:38:40 -0600
I ran across what I think is some very interesting information re: diet & asthma/COPD in one of my books:

"Researchers have found that increasing dietary carbohydrate increases carbon dioxide production, which leads to reduced exercise tolerance and increased brethlessness in people with COPD."

The citation:
Efthimiou J, Mounsey PJ, Bensen DN, et al. Effect of carbohydrate rich versus fat rich loads on gas exchange and walking performance in patients with chronic obstructive lung disease. Thorax 1992; 47: 451-56.

I can't help but wonder about the evolutionary/paleo implications of this since 1) cave hearths probably produced a considerable amount of lung damage in dwellers and 2)it being generally postulated that paleo peeps probably ate fairly lc much of the time.

Theola