From:
Ashley Moran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Aug 2008 20:04:37 +0100
On Aug 01, 2008, at 2:03 pm, Rundle wrote:

> Where did you read that the Inuit made broth?... this seems highly
> unlikely to me since their energy sources were very scarce and long
> cooking outdoors [the igloo would melt if cooking was done indoors]
> is very inefficient energy wise... for some odd reason they DID hard
> boil eggs gathered from nests... in long STONE troughs
> [outdoors] ... you'd think they'd eat them raw...

Now I've looked, I can't find any reliable reference to the Inuit
doing this.  (If you google for "inuit bone broth" you get a few
people that make the same comment I did, but no primary sources.)  It
seems they did make broths[1], but not bone broths.

Ashley

[1] http://forums.canadiancontent.net/canadian-culture/60870-first-nations-inuit-metis-food-2.html
(near the bottom, quote from Stefansson)