From:
ardeith l carter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2001 10:18:26 -0500
On Wed, 28 Feb 2001 21:41:07 -0500 R Bartlett
<[log in to unmask]> writes:
> <<Leave [chicken soup] on the stove and bring to a boil once every 24
> hours>>
>
> Sounds risky.

Ardeith writes:
It is risky......I spent a few summers in the Bay Islands
of Honduras...in a tiny village with no electric, kerosene
to cook with and no refrigeration......the women there
cooked dried beans in plain water, no salt or anything....
they left the pot on the stove all the time....heating it
up to boiling every little while....when meal time occurred,
they took out some beans, added meat, condiments,
and vegetables....cooked up some rice, and served......

The beans stayed edible for a couple of days....but
when meat was added, it had to be eaten immediately.
I didn't get sick eating that way....so I guess it was a
safe way to handle beans.....

But the whole thing sure made me appreciate my
refrigerator and freezer.   When you have to start
with a live chicken, or a mess of fish to clean, meal
preparation takes a lot more time out of a day.
Fresh beef and pork were only available when
someone in the little village killed a cow or pig.
Then they gave meat to everyone and it had to
be used up pretty quick.....and had to be cooked
very well done as the animals there has all sorts
of parasites and "rare" was not a safe option.

Even the people there had problems with worms
and such.....they went barefooted most of the
time.....and used outhouses built over the water
in the little bay.....and went swimming and fishing
next to the outhouses.....and no one ever heard
of picking up after a dog pooped.......the pigs
were kept in a pen that was partly in the little
bay.....so their poop went into the same water
the people swam in also.......I didn't do any
swimming there, and I wore shoes all the time!

Fresh water was surprisingly clean....it came from
a stream high on the hill behind the village, and
no one sickened from drinking it......but then
no one lived higher on the hill, so I guess there
weren't as many microbes up there to cause
problems..........

Walk The Path With Practical Feet!

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.