From:
Bruce Kleisner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Aug 2003 11:25:48 -0400
"Paleogal" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> You're right of course.  Cracking those buggers
> takes time and effort. Opening a jar and eating
> them, especially if you're hungry, can make one
> overeat.

I like unsalted pistachios in the shell. Salted
nuts are easier to over-eat, and cause negative
effects for me (mouth ulcers, painful gums, leg
cramps...). I agree with you that raw nuts (e.g.
walnuts) have a "stop" that prevents eating too
much. Raw unshelled pistachios taste great, if
you can find them. (I find shelled pistachios
taste soggy and bland.)

> But now dairy is another thing.  I used to make
> my own yogurt and loved it but once I started I
> wanted twice as much and I would get moody/sleepy
> with it.  I dropped the dairy with the exception
> of feta cheese on my salad, sprinkled on sauteed
> chicken and half n half in my morning coffee.

I think pasteurization and homogenization cause
most of the problems with  dairy products. I get
raw cheese unheated above normal culturing temp
(about 100-104F), with little or no salt. I use
raw milk, cream, and butter. I let milk ferment
36-48 hours using raw apple cider vinegar with
"mother" (roughly 1:16 vinegar/milk).

You can find raw milk through farmer's markets,
cow/goat-shares, community supported agriculture
(CSA), co-ops, health food stores in CA, Amish
or Mennonite community in many states. The best
way around repressive laws: have a farmer give
you raw milk, while you make donation for labor
(milking, bottling, storage, delivery...).

Raw dairy seems the most beneficial when warmed
to room temperature or slightly higher. Letting
it ferment a while to pre-digest proteins and
sugars helps greatly. Homogenized milk & half-
n-half contain a toxic enzyme xanthine oxidase
(XO). Homogenized fat allows XO to pass through
the gut wall, clogging arteries and damaging
the heart muscle.

http://www.keepwell.com/homog.htm
http://www.all-organic-food.com/milk.htm
http://www.meadowfresh.com/XO1.html

Heating to 122F destroys XO in homogenized milk
and cream. Culturing restores some enzymes and
nutrients lost through pasteurization. Better
solution: raw milk, as nature intended. There
is no reason to heat milk. Raw milk protects
against "pathogens" better than pasteurized.

http://www.realmilk.com/what.html

-Bruce