From:
Dori Zook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Dec 2000 11:56:58 -0700
Hello, all!

Thought you mind find interesting the following information on the upcoming
USDA study.

In short, numerous speakers will be on hand during next month's public
hearing on this endeavor.  On top of Ag Secretary Glickman and USDA
Undersecretary Dr. Eileen Kennedy, four other USDA officials will each have
ten minutes to state thier case.  The USDA has also tapped four other health
experts on the shoulder, allowing them ten minutes for 'commentary'.  Not
one supports a low-carb diet. One of the commentators?  Dr. Dean Ornish.
Interesting, when you consider Glickman cited the popularity of low-fat AND
low-carb diets as the reason for this study.  Others wishing to make public
comment will get 3 minutes during the oral testimony phase of the hearing.

According to a June, 2000 Associated Press story, "USDA researchers plan to
put two groups of people on prototype diets that are similar to those Atkins
and Ornish are promoting and measure how much weight they lose and what
effects the plans have on their health."

Interestinly enough, a USDA official told me this morning that no decisions
have been made as to what particular diet plans will be studied.  I kid you
not!

Make of that what you will.  I'm sure both prototypes WILL be studied. But
the USDA's own nutrition research center at the University of CA-Davis will
direct the study; does the word 'biased' pop to mind for anyone else, or is
it just me?  This contact person also stated that who will fund the study is
also a major question at this time.

You bet your sweet bippy it is!  Insert an image of a cash-waving Pillsbury
Dough Boy in an Uncle Sam get-up right about... here.  I'm very interested
in who WILL fund this study, aren't you?

If anything, I think we should be relieved that the government isn't ready
(or willing) to bite the hand that feeds it and promote meat over wheat.  A)
It will make it that much easier to do what we do; no competition in the
meat department!  And B) We'll get plenty of laughs as the study unfolds.

Dori Zook
Denver, CO