From:
Brad Cooley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Nov 2000 14:11:56 -0500
On Wed, 22 Nov 2000 13:16:05 -0500, Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>On Wed, 22 Nov 2000, Mary wrote:
>
>> Possibly it is more profitable to raise grain fed?
>
>It is.  Grain-fed animals can be slaughtered sooner, because they
>reach "market weight" sooner, by something like six months.
>This, at least, is what I have been told by a rancher who
>attempted to raise free-range cattle but was nearly driven out of
>business.
>
>It's a competitive industry, and a small disadvantage can be
>fatal.
>
>Todd Moody

The rancher from whom I am getting my grass-fed beef, told me that the
problem with raising grass-fed animals is that, in Texas, the cattle can
only be fattened twice a year when "good grass" is available.  Grain fed
cattle can be fattened anytime for market.

He also told me that grass-fed beef has no marbling and is very lean and
tough compared with grain-fed.  So many people who try grass-fed beef end
up going back to the tastier, easier-to-chew, grain-fed beef.  I usually
cook grass-fed beef in a crockpot on low temp. for 4 hrs to get the meat
very tender.

BTW, I wanted to thank everyone for providing input regarding the organ
meats that I also ordered.  Next week, I am going to get 120 lbs of meat
with none of the fat trimmed off; and the brains, liver, heart, tongue,
thymus, and marrow bones from three pasture raised steers.

As for what I eat in the office, I usually bring 3-4 hard-boiled eggs,
pistachios, pecans, or other nuts.  For lunch I usually eat out and can get
a paleo lunch at a cajun restaurant (meatloaf, pot roast, grilled fish, and
mustard greens) or at a bbq restaurant (1/2 chicken, brisket, or sliced
pork which is very fatty).  Now if I can either get my company to quit
providing free sodas, or simply abstain, things would be paleo-perfect and
I could probably lose this last 40 lbs.

Brad