From:
Bob Hodgen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jul 2000 16:04:36 -0400
Hi all:

The kids were watching old Gilligan's Island re-runs on Nick-at Night a
month ago and heard one of the characters make a reference to a high
protein diet.  These kids are largely paleo and don't miss a trick.  Well,
the show was on last week and we taped it.

In the episode the castaways must hide in a cave during a tropical storm.
The cave is too small for all of them to fit and Mr Howell suggests,
". . . perhaps a crash diet.  You know, high proteins, no bread and
potaotes. . ."

I made a low fidelity recording of the dialog and have it on my Paleo web
page at:
  http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/roberthodgen/paleo.htm

The show was copyrighted 1965!  Was this type of diet popular in hollywood
in the mid sixties?  Was Mr Howell just a little ahead of his time?  It
would be interesting to find out how that dialog was slipped into the
script.

Thought it was an interesting bit of trivia.

Take care,

Bob Hodgen