From:
wayne hammons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Aug 2005 08:41:19 -0600
Tell your friend that if her doctor doesn't trust her diagnosis then find a
different doctor.  We spent years dealing with doctor after doctor until my
daughter said, "lets assume I am a celiac and go gluten free".  Her health
improved, she gained weight, her mode improved, she got taller, and she
stopped having stomach aches.  After a few months she accidentally broke
diet because she didn't know gravy was wheat flour and fat and she was
miserable for a week but she no longer worried that the doctors were not
convinced.

Doctors were taught that celiacs were incredibly rare, 1 in 1800. However,
Northern European descendants have closer to 1 in 100 incidents based on
more recent studies.  That is still pretty rare but 18 times greater than
what doctors think it is.

Wayne