From:
Tom Bridgeland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Mar 2002 10:52:23 +0900
It is not 100% paleo, but...

chich wrote:

> I got the stomach flu and the doctor recommends 7-UP, soda crackers and toast.

Interesting. I came up with a similar regime while in the Peace Corps.
I was sick with stomach ailments every few weeks the first year.
Asking around brought a lot of suggestions from the natives.

Here is what I came up with finally. Eat a papaya every day. Papaya
acts directly against bacteria, protozoa, amoebas etc. I don't think
it helps much against viruses. Eat some of the seeds too, that is
where most of the active chemical is, a few spoonfuls. They taste like
mint, not bad.

Then drink coca-cola. Any gassy drink is OK, but they swore by Coke as
a universal remedy. It is what I use and really seems to work. I don't
know why unless the gass kills bacteria. Seems like all that sugar
would just feed the bad bacteria but it does not seem to work that
way. Maybe non-sugar would be even better? Drink it several times a day.

Drink lots of strong tea, green or black. Tea binds with iron in the
gut and makes it unavailable to the bacteria, so they can't grow as
fast. That is why low iron people should avoid tea (and coffee) with meals.

Eat bananas and white bread if the diarrhea is bad. They slow the gut
and help you retain water. Diarrhea can cause dehydration if it is
serious. Bread as medicine! Well, lots of medicines are things we
would not normally eat.

Eat a few spoonfuls of yogurt during the day. Yogurt is a natural
intestinal bacteria that will compete with the invader for resources.
You will heal faster with yogurt.

> roughage paleo alternate to the doc's recommendations,so I went from paleo to
> 7UP and toast and Im exhausted,partly the flu and partly the diet I think.
> Chris

May be dehydration too, drink a lot of coke and tea. Probably just
from poor digestion too, your gut isn't passing much energy on to you.
Sleep as much as possible. Do not exercise at all. Take pepto bismol.

I use the above diet (minus the bread) every time I travel in a third
world country. It really seems to prevent stomach ailments. I love to
eat and drink the native foods, and take no special care other than
this diet when traveling. I drink the tap water, eat at sidewalk
stands. No problem. I make sure to eat papaya bananas and yougurt for
breakfast every morning, and drink Coke several times a day. It is not
paleo, but it works better than most medicines. I avoid taking
antibiotics these days.

By the way, a few days ago my daughter came home from her school with
some stomach bug, and passed it on to me. So now I am doing the plan
too. I got sick yesterday, stopped off at the super last night for
some papayas and bananas. No coke, it does not seem so bad, and coke
is SOOOO sweet now, I can hardly drink it.